Galapagos
Penguin

Galapagos Penguin

The Galapagos penguin weighs no more than 5 pounds and can be up to 49 cm long, making it one of the smallest penguin species you can find. It is worth mentioning that females are smaller than males.

Autor: jgolby/Shutterstock.com

95% of the Galapagos penguin specimens can be found mainly on the Isabela and Fernandina islands. The remaining 5% can be found on the islands Bartolomé, Floreana and Santiago. This species lives in coastal caves near the ocean. 

pinguino de galapagos
Autor: Danita Delmont/Shutterstock.com

They usually take advantage of the presence of the sun in the mornings to feed on small schools of fish, mainly mullets, sardines and occasionally crustaceans. They generally go hunting in a radius of a few kilometers near their nesting site. They do not usually nest in colonies, they do it in small groups of 2 or 3 pairs. It should be noted that these penguins are paired for life, lay 1 or 2 eggs in places such as cracks or caves and incubate them for 40 days. Parents usually bring food to the burrow to their young for up to about 65 days.

If you want to know a little more about the animals you could find in the Galapagos, visit: Galapagos animals.

Related Posts

Are you looking for accommodation for your vacations in Galapagos?

Maytenus Galapagos is a hostel for families who want to discover Galapagos.

You can find us directly on AirbnbBooking y TripAdvisor.

en_US
es_ES en_US
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Tu privacidad es importante para nosotros. Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios. Si continúas con la navegación, consideraremos que aceptas nuestra Política de Cookies.